Monday, January 7, 2008

Singin' is for the Birds

Being a music fanatic for 26 years now, you would think that I would enjoy good singers. You would be wrong. Having grown up on metal, punk, and hardcore, I never was into bands where the vocals were the focal point. Whether this made me indifferent to vocals or if I got into these styles because I didn't care about the vocals, who knows. What I do know is that I find the human voice does very little for me from a sonic standpoint. I'm not impressed. Whitney Houston, yawn. Pavarotti, zzzzzzzzzzzz. Any American Idol contestant, boooring. I'm not talking about the music. I'm talking about listening to the timbre and the sound of the voice as if it sounded good. It's just not for me.

With that said, there are a few singers who for whatever reason I really dig. I can think of five that I actively enjoy for their vocals. I'm not saying that these are the five best singers in the world, just the five I like the most from a simple sonic standpoint. Their voices' please me the most. At least today. Without further ado:
5. Steven Tyler
I mean c'mon. This dude can sing. He could sing in the 70s and he can still sing now. Just a perfect rock and roll voice.










4. Roland Orzabal


I know what you're thinking, "That dude from Tears for Fears? They suck." Yes, I mean the dude from Tears for Fears and they rock. Don't like 'em, don't listen to 'em, Mr. Cool. If you aren't too put off, the vocals in "Shout" are something special. His warm baritone is totally bad-ass. I love it. Give it a shot.



3. Brad Delp




This guy just had the cleanest most perfect voice. The vocals on the first Boston album are some of the best in rock history. R.I.P. buddy.







2. Jeff Buckley


This guy's dad, Tim, could sing with the best of them. His son was from another world. This guy could rip your heart out. If his vocals on the song "Grace" don't give you goosebumps, you're dead inside.







1. Drum roll..........................Steve Perry

I mean, do I even have to explain this? "Wheel in the Sky", "Don't Stop Believin'", "Anyway You Want It", "Lights", "Only the Young"......it goes on and on. I don't care if you don't dig Journey, this dude has the most soaring and inspirational voice (in that 1980s feel good movie way) in the world. Have you ever heard another singer even remotely like him? Didn't think so. I would love to meet this guy some day just to shake his hand. Stand up and show some respect. Steve Motherfuckin' Perry!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tex,

I was wondering what do you think about "Throne of Ahaz" band?