Sunday, February 3, 2008

Sickening Horror- When Landscapes Bled Backwards



As my last post promised, I went to Strangeland Records to take advantage of their going out of business sale. I picked up six discs, and thus far, this one stands out the most.

Sickening Horror is a death metal band from Greece. This is their first full length album and I hope there are many more in the future. This thing just slays. It is a mix of brutal, technical dm like Cannibal Corpse and proggy metal like Atheist. And the songs are just quality. Catchy and memorable, which can be difficult in this harsh genre. All of the players excel. The guitarist is precise and has a great tone and the drummer was the guy from Nile (they now have a new drummer), so you know he is pretty much a fucking jackhammer mixed with a metronome. But my favorite is the bassist. He has a very unique dm style, bobbing and weaving, and flying all over the place, while still anchoring down this monster. There is even a song which is solely piano, but still sounds like dm, really great.

If you like dm, buy this now. If you like technical dm, you should have already bought it. This record takes its place along side Cannibal Corpse's "Kill", Necrophagist's "Epitaph", and Decapitated's "Organic Hallusinosis" as dm records from the past few years that I have heard, which I consider classics.

As a quick aside, they are touring Europe this spring with Immolation and Melechesh. Are you fucking shitting me? What a line-up. I am jealous.

Go to their website for audio and news:

http://www.sickeninghorror.net/

No comments: